Seeing & Hearing Jesus | OCT. 9, 2016
Seeing & Hearing Jesus
- In what ways are you the type of person that can be challenged?
- What are some reasons we don't see the power of God in our lives?
In our sermon series on Mark "Man of Prediction, God of Presence" Pastor Kurt talked about seeing and hearing Jesus, from Mark 9:1-13. He kicked off the sermon talking about the inner circle of friends Jesus had, Peter, James, and John. Jesus took these three friends up a mountain and transfigured himself to display the glory of God. Moses and Elijah are there probably because of their asking to see the Glory of God in the Old Testament. Here we see Jesus transfigured in the Glory of God, revealing to the three, Moses, Elijah and us that the Glory of God is Jesus Christ. We learned about how this revealed three things about Jesus. The first is that Jesus is more than a human teacher. Secondly, Jesus is God's promised Messiah and lastly, that Jesus is God's Son. We summarized this portion of scripture saying that even through suffering, God desires that we keep our eyes and ears on Jesus. This is what God says during the transfiguration in Mark 9:7. Some of us aren't seeing and hearing Jesus. We do this in several ways:
- Some of us don't see God's Kingdom in power.
- We seek the result of the power of God, not Jesus.
- We aren't looking for the Kingdom of God at all, and if we are, we give up too soon
- Some of us don't hear the words of Christ.
- We don't know the Bible as well as we think we do, or as well as we should.
On the heels of Jesus foretelling His death and resurrection and talking about his suffering we see in the transfiguration that suffering isn't the end of the story. In his death, Jesus overcame sin, in His resurrection, he defeated death giving us the power to endure suffering and keep our eyes and ears on Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit. In response to this gospel truth, Pastor Kurt encouraged us to do several things.
- Be steadfast in faith.
- 2 Peter 1:16-21. God's word is trustworthy and true.
- Be steadfast in character.
- "Change your opinions, keep your principles. Change your leaves, keep intact your roots." - Victor Hugo
- Be steadfast in mission.
- Can people count on your to love them when they are not loveable?
- When things get messy, press in.
- How are we seeing the power of God in our community? How are we not seeing the power of God in our community? In what ways are we seeking the result of the power of God instead of seeking Jesus?
- What are we listening to in the place of the words of Jesus? How are we being more influenced by culture than scripture?
- How can we while, keeping our eyes on Jesus, and ears open to Jesus be more steadfast in our faith, character, and mission?
- In what ways are you seeking the result of the power of God instead of seeking Jesus?
- How can you in keeping your eyes on Jesus, and ears open to Jesus be more steadfast in our faith, character, and mission?
- What are you listening to instead of the words of Jesus? In what ways are you being more influenced by culture than scripture?
- In what ways is our family seeking the result of the power of God instead of seeking Jesus?
- In what ways is my family being more influenced by culture than scripture?
- How can our family in keeping our eyes on Jesus, and ears open to Jesus be more steadfast in our faith, character, and mission?