The Greatest Commandment | Mar. 19, 2017
- What would most people consider the most important thing about life?
- What makes someone a good neighbor?
- If the greatest commandment is loving the Lord with all of our heart, all of our soul, all of our mind, and all of our strength. How does the fact that Jesus perfectly loved the Father on our behalf encourage us to pursue this type of love for God in our lives? What aspects of this kind of love do we find ourselves doing more easily? What aspects of this kind of love do we find most difficult? (in regards to heart, soul, mind, and strength)
- Jesus followed up the greatest commandment with a second commandment to love our neighbors as ourselves. In Leviticus 19:9-18 we looked at 5 ways we could actively love our neighbors as ourselves. One of those was to give generously to those in need around us. What has God blessed the people of our community with that we could generously give to those around us? What is one practical way we could begin to give generously as a community?
- The scribe in this text had a good understanding of the importance of loving God and loving people, and yet, Jesus told him that he wasn't far from the Kingdom. In what ways does what we know (head) affect the way we feel (heart) or the way that we act (hands) as a community? In other words, what have we spent a lot of time talking about but not acting on?
- The scribe in this text had a good understanding of what was most important in life and yet, Jesus told him that he wasn't far from the kingdom. In what ways has what you've known to be true (head) never expressed itself with the way that you feel (heart) or act (hands)?
- Because Jesus perfectly loved the father we are able to love our neighbors as ourselves. One of the ways we can love our neighbors as ourselves is by instilling dignity to those around us. We can do this by speaking with dignity to them, and about them as well as standing up against injustices done against them. Who is it around you that needs their dignity as image bearers of God restored? How can God use you to do instill dignity into their lives?
- One way that we should love our neighbors as ourselves is by forgiving those around us freely. Who in your life are you currently harboring bitterness towards? What are some next steps you could take in offering them forgiveness?
- Loving your neighbor as yourself can be expressed in giving generously to those in need around you. What are some ways that God has blessed your family that you could share with those in need around you? What could your family give to someone else in need?
- What are some areas your family has spent a lot of time talking or thinking about doing but haven't actually acted on? What are some ways that we can act on what we know to be true?