Jesus is More than a Human King | Mar. 26, 2017
- When was the last time you did something that you were really proud of?
- When was the last time you did something that you were embarrassed about?
- What was it about those things that made you proud or embarrassed?
- When our view of God is too small, our view of ourselves will be too big. Our joy will be weak, our love will be frail, and our condemnation will be great. How can we practically help one another have an increased view of Jesus and a proper view of ourselves?
- The scribes were people who did what they did for social acclaim but we were encouraged to serve privately. Who are some people that aren't a part of our community that need to be served? How can we serve them? Who within our community needs to be served? How can we serve them?
- The scribes sought praise from people and prayed long prayers that were more performance driven than honest, but we were encouraged to praise others lavishly and to pray honestly. What are some practical ways we can be people who give praise and thanksgiving regularly? What are some ways we can more effectively pray for one another?
- When our view of God is too small, our view of ourselves will be too big. Our joy will be weak, our love will be frail, and our condemnation will be great. What are some ways you could keep a healthy view of yourself in comparison to your view of God?
- The Scribes placed a higher priority on their public life than their private life. How is your life in public different from your life in private? How is your public prayer life different from your private prayer life?
- We were encouraged to walk modestly, serve privately, praise lavishly, and pray honestly. What are some practical ways you can walk modestly? Serve privately? Praise lavishly? Pray honestly?
- We were encouraged to pray honestly. The Scribes were people who would pray long prayers of self-praise. How does your private prayer life with your family compare with your public prayer life apart from your family?
- Who are some people that you could serve as a family? Who are some people that your family could offer words of praise and thanksgiving too?