By What Authority? | Feb. 19, 2017
- How do people generally respond to authority?
- Why do people have a difficult time submitting to authority?
- All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Jesus. In what ways do we demonstrate as a community that Jesus is our authority? For one another? For those outside the community?
- What “mountains” are preventing us as a community from demonstrating Jesus’ authority over all things (i.e. doing mission in our neighborhood, etc.)? What mountains are we boldly praying for God to remove from among us as a community?
- What would our community look like if we lived lives of bold forgiveness towards each other? How would our relationships flourish as God’s people if we were quick to confess sin and quick to forgive each other instead of continuing in silent bitterness?
- What are some ways that your desire for control is expressed? How do these desires keep us from faithful submission to the authority of Jesus?
- Confidence in the ability and authority of Jesus should lead us to a life of bold prayer. What are some hindrances to your faith in God, that you need to ask God to remove from your life? (Ex. doubt, shame, guilt, bitterness)
- Jesus talked about "mountain moving" faith in God and mentioned forgiveness as one of those mountains, Who are you withholding forgiveness from? What practical ways can you begin the process of forgiving them?
- What would our homes look like if we lived lives of bold forgiveness? How would our relationships flourish if we were quick to confess sin and quick to forgive each other instead of continuing in silent bitterness?
- How has bitterness and unforgiveness from situations outside of your home (childhood, workplace etc) affected the way you interact with your spouse and children?